Woodbury Leadership Academy's Board Of Directors
Woodbury Leadership Academy's Board of Directors shall decide and be responsible for policy matters related to the operation of the school, including budgeting, curriculum programming, personnel, and operating procedures. The Board shall adopt personnel evaluation policies and practices that, at a minimum:
- carry out the school's mission and goals
- evaluate the execution of charter contract goals and commitments
- evaluate student achievement, postsecondary and workforce readiness, and student engagement and connection goals
- establish a teacher evaluation process under section 124E.03, subdivision 2, paragraph (h); and
- provide professional development related to the individual's job responsibilities
- January 13 - Special Meeting (listening session)
- January 29 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
- February 26 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
- March 25 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
- April 22 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
- May 27 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
- June 24 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
- July 22 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
- August 26 - Regular Meeting at 5:00 P.M.
Location: Woodbury Leadership Academy 8089 Globe Dr. Woodbury, MN 55125
WLA BOARD OF DIRECTORS - Community Member Seat Open
WLA has the following board member seat open:
- Community Seat Term ending 06/2021
- Community Seat Term ending 06/2022
- Parent Seat Term ending 06/2022
This member seat is available by board appointment. Complete the self nomination form below if you are interested in serving the board in this capacity.
The Board of Directors governs the school by setting the expectations and parameters that lead to higher levels of student achievement. The Board of Directors role (as a governing body) is to adopt goals, ensure accountability, evaluate results, and adopt policies – acting as one voice. Among other things, the Board is responsible for compliance reporting, strategic goal-setting, evaluating the school’s Executive Director, and overseeing the finances of the school.
Service on the Board of Directors is an opportunity to provide leadership to an outstanding educational organization. While Board service requires a generous commitment of time, talent, and skills on behalf of WLA, this is balanced by the reward of serving with other dedicated individuals to ensure WLA’s continued success as a public charter school. Ideally, desirable personal characteristics include, but are hardly limited to, a passion for the school’s mission, a desire to strengthen our school community, and an ability to contribute in a positive, collaborative manner. Skills and/or experience which can benefit the school are also valuable and typically include such areas as strategic planning and implementation, finance, marketing, communications, legal, and education.
In Minnesota, charter school board members must comply with strict conflict-of-interest rules and must attend training on topics such as board governance, the board’s role and responsibilities, employment policies and practices, and financial management.
If you have any questions about board service or the election process, you may contact the WLA Board chair, Mandi Folks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Board Members
Mandi Folks (Parent)
Term Expires: 6/2020
Shannon Kelly (Community)
Term Expires: 6/2020
Jason Livingston (Parent)
Term Expires: 6/2021
Jolene Skordahl (Teacher)
Term Expires: 6/2022
WLA Board of Directors' Learning Resources
Article #1: Starting Strong - Best Practices for Starting a Charter School (Vanderbilt Peabody College)
Article #2: A Reflection on the Challenges for Minnesota's Charter School Movement (MN Association of Charter Schools)
WLA Board of Directors' Job Description, Performance Expectations & Code of Ethics
To access the WLA Board of Director's meeting minutes, click here.
- The WLA Board of Directors has called a Special Meeting on January 13, 2020 at 4:30pm at Woodbury Leadership Academy 8089 Globe Dr, Woodbury, MN 55125 for the purposes of holding a public listening session on the topic of the text message threat incidence that the school was made aware of on 1/6/2020. This is a non-action meeting. **This is not a Q&A, but rather a listening session. Click here for agenda.
- WLA Board of Directors Regular Meeting is on January 29, 2020 at 5:00 P.M. at Woodbury Leadership Academy 8089 Globe Dr, Woodbury, MN 55125 - GYM
To access our online policy manual click here.